Thursday 24 February 2011

Microscopes are Awesome

Hey Guys and Gals

Just a quick one tonight seeing as Mad Dogs is on soon. Actually, saying that probably means that it wont actually be a quick one, it will end up being quite lengthy and therefore causing me to miss Mad Dogs. Never mind, I love you all enough for it to be worth it.


Today has probably been the best day of my work experience this week. It started off with the student I was supposed to be shadowing being in Portugal so I tagged along with Lea instead. Shes awesome. So we started off preparing a probe that would identify the difference between male and female DNA. When I say probe I mean a chemical that reacts with the xx chromosomes to make it go pink. I was a little skeptical because Lea said she had never made it work before but it worked today and we were both very excited. Then we had lunch and coffee and stuff and then we went off to the bioimaging are. Bioimaging is basically a posh was of saying microscopy which itself is another word for using microscopes. Anyway, Jeremy was showing us around and pointing out all the massively expensive microscopes. The one we were using cost £500,000. Like serious money these things. But Jeremy is awesome, he showed us all these amazing pictures and even printed some out for me and Nick (Pictured). I know it sounds weird but I really enjoyed our session on microscopes.

Anyway, more awesome things happening tomorrow

Good Night xxx

p.s. the bottom picture are cells taken from a Bulls foreskin. Yummy eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment